Software for Indologists and Linguists
© Elmar Kniprath 2005-2012
INDOLIPI is a multipurpose tool box for indologists and linguists. It contains
- Open Type fonts for most Indian scripts,
- a Unicode based Latin font for writing of scientific texts in a western language containing all transliteration signs used by indologists as well as all presently valid IPA signs contained in Unicode (this font is also Open Type regarding exact positioning of IPA diacritics),
- western (English and German) keyboard layouts for Indic scripts for users who find it difficult to use Indian keyboard layouts,
- keyboard layouts for IPA and Indic transliteration,
- an MS Word template for MS Word 2003 (Windows XP) with helpful macros for easy use of OT fonts and with a converter both for transliteration of Indic scripts into Latin and for converting between different transliteration systems.
The fonts and the keyboard layouts may each be installed and used separately. So you may e.g.
- install just one of INDOLIPI's Tamil fonts and use it with an Indian keyboard layout as provided by Microsoft or others,
- or install one of INDOLIPI's western keyboard layouts and use it with a MS font (e.g. Mangal) or any Open Type font made by somebody else,
- or write scientific texts in a western language with the Latin font "e-PhonTranslit UNI", allowing you to type IPA signs or signs with diacritics needed for transliteration of Indic words, all signs being Unicode based, i.e. they are compatible with any other Unicode font in the world,
- or use any convenient combinations of INDOLIPI components.
It is recommended to use Windows XP (+ SP2) or later versions. Earlier versions of this software may cause problems.
Contents of INDOLIPI
To allow for partial downloads of the components the INDOLIPI software has been split up into packages and single fonts.
A detailed description of all INDOLIPI features with download and installation advice is given in the INDOLIPI General Manual contained in the Manuals package.
Script and Keyboard Packages
- Asamiya-Bangla: Contains one common font "e-Bengali OT" to be used for both languages and separate keyboard layouts for Asamiya and Bangla.
- Devanagari: Contains one common font "e-Nagari OT" to be used for all languages written with Devanagari. Additional fonts for Hindi, Marathi and Rajasthani are also provided. The keyboard layout is to be used for all Devanagari based languages.
- Grantha: There is not yet a Unicode encoding for this old script. Therefore INDOLIPI offers fonts with either Bengali or Malayalam encoding together with the appropriate keyboard layouts.
- Gujarati: Font and keyboard layout.
- Gurmukhi: Font and keyboard layout.
- Kannada: Font and keyboard layout.
- Malayalam: Contains a font "e-Malayalam OT" with reformed spelling to be used with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. An additional font "e-Malayalam 7C" has the "classical" (i.e. pre-reform) spelling and is compatible with Vista and Windows 7 only.
- Oriya: Contains separate fonts and keyboard layouts for Windows XP and Windows 7.
- Sinhala: The content of this package is based on Windows 7. The font may be used for both modern and old spelling. It also contains the old Sinhala digits.
- Tamil: Contains separate fonts for old and modern spelling. Both fonts and the keyboard layout are compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
- Telugu: Contains two different fonts, one for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 and one for Windows 7 only.
- Tibetan: Contains only keyboard layouts.
- Because of the popularity of the Manipravala fonts "e-Grantamil.ttf" and "e-Grantamil 7.ttf a separate download of these fonts has been provided for.
Each of the above packages contains a script specific manual and may be used without any further INDOLIPI components.
Transliteration and Transcription Packages
- Transliteration: Contains the Latin font "e-PhonTranslit UNI" and keyboard layouts for Latin transliteration of Indic scripts.
- IPA: Contains the Latin font "e-PhonTranslit UNI" and keyboard layouts for IPA transcription.
- Auto-Transliteration: Contains the Word 2003 template INDOLIPI.dot, the Latin font "e-PhonTranslit UNI", the General Manual, the INDOLIPI Working Scheme, a Concordance of Transliteration Systems and keyboard layout tables to be used inside INDOLIPI.dot.
Each one of these packages contains its own manual.
Manuals Package: Contains all manuals
INDOLIPI has been developed by Elmar Kniprath. He holds the copyright for the whole program and the fonts. INDOLIPI is distributed as freeware. It may be used free of charge for scientific and private purposes. No commercial use or distribution of the program as a whole or of any of its components (including the fonts) is allowed, except with written consent of the author.
The author can not be made responsible for any possible faults of the program nor is he liable for any damages which might be caused by it.
Updates will be published on this website without prior notice.
If you wish to be informed automatically by e-mail about new updates, please mail your address (see General Manual).
Last update: 22 October 2012